Reflections on my chaotic life of minivans, tantrums, deadlines, and diets ... a life I wouldn't trade for the world.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Six Weeks of Misery

(Since I originally wrote this, 12 people senselessly died in Colorado. In light of this, complaining about a short run of minor health issues seems petty. I am grateful that my family is healthy and safe. My hearts go out to the victims and their families.)

Until 6 weeks ago, I'd never been a big believer in karma. But after three hospital stays and one slightly abbreviated fingertip, I am wondering what I did in this and my past life to deserve such a run of bad luck.

June 9, 2012

My appendix decides my body is no longer a welcoming host and takes the laparoscopic way out. I won't bore you with the details, as I wrote about it after the fact hereUnbeknownst to me at the time, the appendectomy marked the launch of Bill's career as Best Husband Ever ... PhD. 

June 27, 2012

I undergo surgery to deal with the damage my two behemoth children left behind, so to speak. Recovery was painful and longer than anticipated and, as prescribed after the appendectomy, I was not allowed to lift my heavy toddler for another 6 weeks. Bill's fledgling career as BHE is taken to a new level, thanks to a wife who can do little to help with childcare and spends a good part of her time doped up on pain medication.

July 10, 2012

Evil contraption
I decide, as an instructional designer, that I am too good for instructions and hastily employ the mandolin slicer to make some zucchini chips. Several slices in, I leave more than a zucchini chip on the cutting board. Bleeding and crying, I do my best to show my "mommy's fiiiine" face to my toddler, but he doesn't buy it. Back to the hospital (well, urgent care) we go.

Diagnosis: avulsion. Prognosis: 7-10 days to heal. Prescription: a bandage the size of my foot. Things to avoid: pools, hot tubs ... and dishes. I am now limited to lifting only my infant, and only with one arm, and I can no longer clean up after the dinner that Bill inevitably has to make because I am now terrified of sharp objects.

Bill is begrudgingly promoted to senior management.

July 13, 2012

We wake up prepared for our fun weekend with Bill's visiting family and my parents in Central Oregon. Bill has taken the day off to pack and get stuff done. Despite my aching finger, life is looking up. Then the niggling stomachache I'd been experiencing attacks with fury. So much fury that while Bill is dropping the kids at daycare, I call an ambulance because I couldn't get through to Bill's phone. I am sweating, shaking, and unable to move because of the pain. I begin vomiting. I spend 2 days in the hospital because I can't keep fluids or medicine down.

Diagnosis: colitis, gastroenteritis, and a urinary tract infection. Prescription: rest, antibiotics, and pain meds while in the hospital. Prognosis: 1-2 days to feel better. Things to avoid: "controversial" foods. Bill reaches the pinnacle of his career as he cares for our children (with the help of my parents) while I am gone, and misses the much-anticipated visit with his family.

If the appendicitis, avulsion, colitis, gastroenteritis, and UTI don't kill me, guilt will.

July 20, 2012

My amazing family
As I weigh the options for making it up to my husband (get your minds out of the gutter), I am also trying to glean a lesson from the past 6 weeks. My theory is that my body was worn out after endless months of just trying to get through the day, with two very young children, a terminally messy house, one regular job, and multiple freelance clients. My body threw up the white flag, subjecting me to lots of pain and frustration, but also hours of rest and recovery.

In light of this, I decided with a heavy heart to give up one thing that was draining me and causing me stress--pumping at work. I hate pumping and I dread it, but I also dread the day I have to stop breastfeeding completely. It was a hard decision to make, but something had to give. J still gets half of her nutrition from me, and I've accepted that that is enough, given the circumstances. I now relish my lunch breaks, which are mine and mine alone. 


So, thanks to my wonderful family for your support through this time. I am so lucky to have you. Here is to a 2012 spent far, far away from any hospitals (with the exception of visiting my sister's new baby!).

No comments:

Post a Comment